Restructuring, Insolvency & Liquidation
At HLB Ler Lum, we provide business recovery services, offering a full range of complex and routine turnaround, restructuring and insolvency assignments across many different industries.
Our investment in people and risk management procedures, combined with HLB’s specialist industry knowledge and expertise make us exceptionally well positioned to resolve some of the conflicting issues experienced.
Whether a business is looking to redress underperformance, enhance stakeholder value or resolve a crisis, our Corporate Recovery Group’s proactive, innovative and entrepreneurial approach to problem-solving has established us as a pre-eminent group of consultants and practitioners, delivering decisive, positive and commercial solutions for businesses in crisis
Our wider team includes turnaround executives who undertake hands on roles and act as Chief Restructuring Officer.
We benefit from our HLB Global network’s excellent relations with bankers, asset based lenders, trade insurers, bond holders, government departments and turnaround equity financiers.
We acknowledge and respect the varied international conflicts and cultures. We are able to support firms who on occasion are disabled by conflicts.
Credentials & track records
Landmark Cases in Insolvency Laws and Practices
In the area of formal insolvency /turnaround and restructuring/business recovery services, the firm upholds a high degree of integrity and professionalism in discharging its duties. The firm has successfully recovered debts from numerous complex assignments including:
- Supreme Court Case of Director of Customs, Federal Territory v Ler Cheng Chye (Liquidator of Castwell Sdn. Bhd., in Liquidation) 
- Federal Court Case of K. Balasubramaniam (Liquidator for Kosmopolitan Credit & Leasing Sdn Bhd, in liquidation) vs MBf Finance Berhad, Ler Cheng Chye and Lum Tuck Cheong (Receivers and Managers for Kosmopolitan Credit & Leasing Sdn Bhd, in Liquidation) 
Both cases have indeed become the binding precedents of the highest order in Malaysia’s Insolvency Law.
Insolvency Specialty – Revival of Abandoned Property Development Projects
Previously we have successfully rehabilitated three (3) major abandoned projects vide a similar Section 176 Scheme of Arrangement:
1) An abandoned industrial project comprising of 478 Light Industrial Factory units at Taman Perindutrian USJ1, Subang Jaya, Selangor
Court Convened Meeting was held where the scheme was unanimously approved, Certificate of Fitness for Occupation was obtained and Individual Title was issued.
2) A residential project comprising of 100 condominium units at Taman Desa, Kuala Lumpur
Court Convened Meeting was held where the scheme was unanimously approved, Certificate of Fitness for Occupation was obtained, Joint Management Body was formed, Individual Title was issued and Management Corporation was formed.
3) An residential project comprising of 175 condominium units at Block D, SAHK, Taman Sri Angsana Hilir, Ampang, Selangor
Court Convened Meeting was held where the scheme was unanimously approved, Certificate of Fitness for Occupation was obtained, Individual Title was issued and Management Corporation was formed.
Our Range Of Services
- Provisional liquidation
- Members' voluntary liquidation
- Creditors' voluntary liquidation
- Court liquidation
- Scheme manager
- Judicial manager
- Project rehabilitation
- Financial monitoring
- Corporate turnaround and restructuring
- Dispute resolution
HLB Ler Lum and Morison AAC Merger
HLB Ler Lum and Morison AAC have agreed to merge with effect from 1 January 2021.
Perlindungan Ekonomi & Rakyat Malaysia (PERMAI) Assistance Package
On 18 January 2021, our Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin (“PM”) has introduced the Perlindungan Ekonomi Dan Rakyat Malaysia (“PERMAI”) Assistance Package worth RM15 billion
FemTech: The women's health revolution
As the market for female-focused health products, otherwise known as femtech, continues to grow, we explore what the future holds for this new innovation
Get in touch
Whatever your question our global team will point you in the right directionStart the conversation